StepAhead Provisional Endorsement in Special Education
Tuition Information: See the Cashiers and Student Accounts website for tuition and fee schedules.
The StepAhead Provisional Endorsement is for Secondary Education undergraduate students in the College of Education with an interest in special education. Students who want to begin teaching special education before completing a full licensure program can follow this plan, completing the required special education coursework and student teaching with a Special Education Practicum (during the final semester with their content area student teaching). Individuals successfully completing this option will be eligible for provisional endorsement in high incidence secondary special education after accepting a special education teaching position.
Classes leading to Provisional Endorsement in Special Education while completing an undergraduate degree in Secondary Education
- EDSP 711 – Education of Exceptional Individuals
- EDSP 742 – Interventions: Emotional and Behavior Disorders
- EDSP 743 – Interventions: Academic Disabilities
- EDSP 745 – The Consulting Process in Special Education
- To request a dual student teaching placement in both secondary and special education, the courses listed above must be completed prior to the student teaching semester.
- EDSP 785 – Practicum in Special Education (Taken during the student teaching semester; must be enrolled for graduate credit.) You will be required to maintain a separate comprehensive special education portfolio that provides evidence of your competence in meeting the requirements of this practicum.
Why Consider a Provisional Endorsement in Special Education?
- You’re getting a “StepAhead” to a Master’s degree!
- Allows you to work as a special education teacher while finishing a Special Education endorsement for the State of Kansas.
- Better preparation for including students with special needs in your general education classroom.
- A special education background increases your opportunities of getting a teaching job!
StepAhead Program contacts:
StepAhead Brochure (PDF)