Kansas City, Kansas K-STEP UP Program
"This program opens the doors of opportunity – from one side of Kansas to the other – and prepares teachers who reflect the children in their communities."
Students complete their general education classes in two years at KCKCC, and transfer the sixty KCKCC credits to K-State. Students will complete their education-related courses for K-State online. You will experience student teaching in Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools, allowing K-STEP UP students to earn a degree from K-State while never leaving home.
Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools
The Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools (KCKPS) is passionate about hiring quality teachers who have ties to our community. The best possible teachers, we believe, are those who have attended our schools and are now ready to lead classrooms with children who are just like them.
Our district has 47 schools, which means there are multiple employment opportunities and that translates into economic stability for KCKPS teachers, administrators, school counselors, and the community. At KCKPS, our greatest strength is our diversity and our best teachers were once our own students.
The K-STEP UP program gives our graduates all the resources of a Big XII institution without the costs associated with living on campus.
Benefits of this partnership include:
- Student teaching in Wyandotte County and supervised by local teachers
- On-site mentoring provided by a district leader
- Dedicated academic advisor located at KCKCC
- Dedicated academic advisor located at K-State
- Classes taught by K-State faculty with more than 1,000 years of K-12 teaching experience
- Forever EdCats, K-State’s free teacher mentoring program for alumni during their first three years in the classroom
Kansas City Kansas Community College
Kansas City Kansas Community College (KCKCC) is committed to their students and strive to ensure all students have a positive and successful post-secondary experience.
Understanding the need for highly qualified teachers in Kansas, KCKCC is pleased to partner with the Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools and K-State’s College of Education for K-STEP UP. This pathway program makes a four-year teaching degree cost-effective and convenient for students in Wyandotte County.
- Affordable with affordable payment plan
- Dedicated scholarships for future teachers
- Numerous other sources of financial aid
- Classes offered face-to-face, online, daytime, evening and weekend
- Small class sizes
- Variety of easily accessible academic resources
- Friendly and approachable staff, faculty and administrators
- Numerous clubs and activities
- Diverse students and faculty
- Easy transfer to K-State with the help of a dedicated bi-lingual academic student success advisor for K-STEP UP
- Wyandotte County Residents – Tuition and Fees for 30 Hours
- One Year = $3,120; Two Years = $6,240
- Student Residence Life
- One Year = $4,740; Two Years = $9,480
- One Year = $700; Two Years = $1,400
- One Year = $8,560; Two Years = $17,120
In the News…